Riverside is committed to the success and professional development of our nurses. To support that commitment, we are proud to offer Vizient's Nurse Residency Program, which combines classroom learning, case studies, small group discussions and precepted clinical practice over a 12-month period. This evidence-based curriculum focuses on leadership, patient outcomes and professional development.
The program supports the successful transition of newly graduated RNs from the academic setting to the fast-paced hospital environment. This prepares you to:
- Care for patients with increasing levels of acuity and complexity in the hospital setting.
- Develop clinical nursing leadership at the point of care.
- Improve patient safety and quality of care.
- Foster critical thinking skills.
- Bring evidence-based practice to the bedside.
- Strengthen commitment to the profession of nursing and develop individual career goals.
- Facilitate clinical and leadership skills necessary for you to be a successful member of the health care team.
Our Nurse Residency Program is available for all acute care RNs with less than one year of experience in a hospital setting. Full-time and part-time team members will be enrolled to complement their departmental orientation process. A new cohort begins two times per year, in April and October.
Our fall 2018 Nurse Residency Program graduating class.
Partnership with Vizient
Vizient's Nurse Residency Program is the gold standard. It is recognized by the Institute of Medicine and is trusted by more than 300 health systems nationwide. The program has served nearly100,000 nurse residents and maintains an average first-year retention rate of 95 percent (compared to the national average of 75 percent).
Our Nurse Residency Program Advisory Board includes the Riverside College of Health Careers, Old Dominion University and Virginia Commonwealth University.
Debbie Campbell, MSN, MA, RN
Riverside Nurse Residency Program Coordinator