An Open Letter to the Eastern Shore Community
Dear Community Member,
Excellent health care services are vital in creating a vibrant community where people want to work, live and play. Riverside is grateful for the opportunity to continue to serve in this role here on the Eastern Shore. Our care providers are here for you in times of need, but also as your neighbors, friends and family.
In our role as a community member, we want to keep you informed about our progress in bringing you the latest in hospital facilities, skilled physicians and caring providers. We have a lot to report.
Our planned campus in Onley is in the final stages of planning and we are pleased to report the following:
- We have designed the facility that is pictured below, a 52-bed acute care hospital.
- Within the bed count are 10 critical care beds for the most acutely ill.
- Over 50 percent of the facility will be dedicated to outpatient care such as imaging, laboratory, physical therapy, and more.
- We will have a modernized mommy/baby unit to meet the needs of expectant mothers.
- We will build an adjacent medical office building to create a centralized campus feel.
- We will also co-locate our cancer center to provide for patient convenience.
There are a few remaining issues to be solved with regard to permitting and site preparation. We anticipate a quick resolution to these items and to begin site preparations in the fall. After that, we anticipate a 24 month construction period.
Until then we will continue to serve you at our Nassawadox site as we have for the past 85 years. We fully plan to continue to provide ongoing services to lower Eastern Shore and have recently opened our Cape Charles primary care location to Saturday hours for urgent needs.
Probably even more important than a new campus, is the renewed commitment to how we render care. Across all our facilities and care providers we are implementing the Riverside Care Difference… best expressed by our mission statement -- To care for others as we would care for those we love. This is our true commitment to you.
Thank you for your patience as we work through the complex exercise of building a new facility. In the meantime, be assured that we are here for you and fully committed to our Eastern Shore. We will be publishing updates on our progress until construction is complete and we look forward to serving you at our new site. Please expect to receive an update from us on a regular basis.
Wade Broughman, Chief Operating Officer, Riverside Health System
Dr. Susan McAndrews, Administrator, Riverside Shore
Dr. David Jones, Eastern Shore Medical Chief