Outpatient Surgery: What to Expect
Your Medical Insurance Coverage
Insurance coverage is one area you don't want to worry about. Well before the surgery, contact your insurer to make sure you understand the following:
- Need for a second opinion on your surgery.
- Hospital and health care providers' status as "in-network" or "preferred."
- Deductibles for outpatient services.
You may need to go for Preoperative Assessment testing before your operation or on the day of your surgery. Your doctor will let you know what assessments are needed. Call Riverside scheduling at (757) 989-8830, if you need to set up testing.Issues to Consider
- Ask your doctor about your recovery at home. In many cases you will need to have someone stay with you for at least 24 hours.
- Make sure you understand how long you should expect to stay at the facility.
- You will likely need someone available to take you home. Ask your doctor's staff.
- Make sure you understand all of the instructions for your care after leave the facility.
- Tell your physician if you use tobacco, alcohol or other substances; this information is important because such substances can affect recovery from anesthesia and surgery.
- Make sure you know who you should contact if you have questions or experience any problems once discharged.