Advances in medical technology, especially in minimally invasive surgeries, allow your doctor to provide high-quality care in an outpatient setting. Our Riverside outpatient or ambulatory facilities are conveniently situated in many of our local communities. Best of all, you may be released and on your way home within several hours of your procedure.
Your Riverside surgeon and staff will be happy to explain your particular procedure and what you should expect. Don't hesitate to ask questions.
Things to do before your surgery
1. Make sure your medical insurance coverage in order:
Insurance coverage is one area you don't want to worry about. Well before the surgery, contact your insurer to make sure you understand the following:
- Need for a second opinion on your surgery.
- Hospital and health care providers' status as "in-network" or "preferred."
- Deductibles for outpatient services.
2. Pre-operative testing
You may need to go for Preoperative Assessment testing before your operation or on the day of your surgery. Your doctor will let you know what assessments are needed. Call Riverside scheduling at (757) 989-8830, if you need to set up testing.
3. Additional issues to consider
- Ask your doctor about your recovery at home. In many cases you will need to have someone stay with you for at least 24 hours.
- Make sure you understand how long you should expect to stay at the facility.
- You will likely need someone available to take you home. Ask your doctor's staff.
- Make sure you understand all of the instructions for your care after leave the facility.
- Tell your physician if you use tobacco, alcohol or other substances; this information is important because such substances can affect recovery from anesthesia and surgery.
- Make sure you know who you should contact if you have questions or experience any problems once discharged.
The Riverside Nurse telephone service is also a good resource for information about surgery preparation and recovery. Call (757) 595-6363 or 1-800-675-6368 with your questions.