Outpatient Surgery: What to Expect
- Need for a second opinion on your surgery.
- Hospital and health care providers' status as "in-network" or "preferred."
- Deductibles for outpatient services.
- Ask your doctor about your recovery at home. In many cases you will need to have someone stay with you for at least 24 hours.
- Make sure you understand how long you should expect to stay at the facility.
- You will likely need someone available to take you home. Ask your doctor's staff.
- Make sure you understand all of the instructions for your care after leave the facility.
- Tell your physician if you use tobacco, alcohol or other substances; this information is important because such substances can affect recovery from anesthesia and surgery.
- Make sure you know who you should contact if you have questions or experience any problems once discharged.
The Riverside Nurse telephone service is also a good resource for information about surgery preparation and recovery. Call (757) 595-6363 or 1-800-675-6368 with your questions.