The Sterile Processing Technician (SPT) role is essential to the successful operation of both inpatient and outpatient surgical facilities. These medical professionals carry out duties that include reprocessing various surgical instruments and equipment. During the reprocessing phase, SPTs decontaminate, package and sterilize items. Upon sterilization, these technicians proceed to stock and track sterile items. As health care continues to evolve, so does the demand for highly trained professionals. Sterile Processing Technicians are a critical component in the team of professionals ensuring the safety of all surgical patients.
Program at a Glance
- One 16-week term
- Hours vary Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Occasional evening & weekend hours may be required
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a required overall grade point average of 2.0 or better; or a GED certificate. (high school seniors, graduating no later than June, are eligible to apply for summer or fall programs if their GPA is 2.0 or higher at time of application and a positive recommendation from their guidance counselor has been provided).
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based)
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Satisfactory interview (for applicants meeting preadmission test requirements)
- Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
Riverside College of Health Careers is certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
The information contained in this website is informational only, and not intended to be contractual in nature. We reserve the right to change or alter any statements herein without prior notice.