Medical Assistants are multi-skilled health professionals specifically educated to work as a member of a health care team, performing a broad range of clinical and administrative tasks under the supervision of a physician and advanced practice providers. This profession is the only allied health professional specifically trained to work in ambulatory health settings. The Medical Assistant performs delegated clinical and administrative duties within the supervising provider's scope of practice that is consistent with medical assisting education, training and experience. The Medical Assistant is also a liaison between the doctor and the patient, which makes them a valuable part of the medical practice.
Program at a Glance
- Approximately 11 months
- Hours vary Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Approximately 15 months
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 5-10 p.m.
- Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday, hours vary 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Occasional daytime hours may be required during the week
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a required overall grade point average of 2.0 or better; or a GED certificate. (High School Seniors, graduating no later than June, are eligible to apply for summer or fall programs if their GPA is 2.0 or higher at time of application and a positive recommendation from their Guidance Counselor has been provided).
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based).
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Satisfactory interview (for applicants meeting preadmission test requirements).
- Documentation of previous health care experience (including volunteer hours) is recommended.
- Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
The Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
Riverside College of Health Careers is certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).