Our office offers a comprehensive, on-site program for patients with diabetes. The sessions are taught by Dr. Megan B. McGavern and Certified Diabetes Educators.
Learning to Live with Diabetes
This is a series of three group sessions, offered on Wednesdays. Each one will show you specific steps you can take to get yourself healthy and back to feeling good.
- The natural history of diabetes
- What uncontrolled diabetes can do to your body
- Blood sugar and A1C goals, glucose logs and pattern management
- How to choose and use a glucose meter
- How high blood sugar levels can make you feel
- How to handle and prevent diabetic emergencies
- Why what you eat is important
- Learning from food labels
- Planning your meals
- Food types
- Sugar goals
- Building a plate
Medications & Lifestyle Modifications
- How diabetic medications work and steps to taking them correctly
- Diabetic medication options
- Why stress is important and how to handle it
- How behavior and exercise affect your diabetes
- Setting goals
To find out the schedule and enroll in an upcoming class, call our office at (757) 234-4285.