October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
While breast cancer is a year-round issue, this special time in October offers a good opportunity to think about how you can be involved, including such activities as fund raising, sharing helpful and positive personal experiences and advocating on behalf of the need for increased focus on breast cancer research and treatment.
And it's also, if you fall into the mammography guidelines, a good time to schedule your regular mammography screening or congratulate yourself on getting one. Whichever of those two options includes you, here's something to think about.
Join Riverside in the Fight against Breast Cancer
Riverside is a proud sponsor of these events. Please join us; your support can make a difference.
The Pink Carpet Gala - A Calendar to Live By
September 19. 6 p.m., Doubletree by Hilton, Williamsburg. Dinner and auction with the launch and presentation of the 2016 Calendar to Live By. For more information, go to www.beyondboobs.org.
Chesapeake Regional Medical Center Bra Ha Ha
September 25. 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm.Awards show of the artwork and auction. The artwork, decorated bras, are assembled in an art exhibit to celebrate the stories, the survivors and the spirit of those working to promote breast health. For more information, go to http://brahaha.org.
- Komen Tidewater Race for the Cure®
- October 10. 8:00 am, Neptune Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront. For more information about the race, walk or competitive run go to www.komentidewater.org/komen-race-for-the-cure
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer®
An American Cancer Society Event
October 11. 2:00 pm. Christopher Newport University, Newport News. Riverside will have teams from the Peninsula and Middle Peninsula participating in this survivor celebration and breast cancer research fund-raiser. To register, www.MakingStridesWalk.org/PeninsulaVA. Riverside will provide a Breast Health Informational display at event and free breast health informational packets.
Run for the Hills
October 17. 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, Warhill Sports Complex, Williamsburg. 10K Run/Walk and Fall Fest. For more information, go to www.beyondboobs.org. Riverside will provide a Breast Health Informational display at event and free breast health informational packets.
Light the Night®
October 24. 5 p.m., MacArthur Center Park, Norfolk. Leukemia Lymphoma Society Survivor walk and celebration. Riverside is sending a support group to participate in the walk. To learn more about the walk and to register go to www.lightthenight.org/va.
Riverside is also hosting these breast cancer screenings, talks and events during October.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Kick Off October 1, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Riverside Cancer Care Center, Newport News in the Lobby. Informational breast health display and a chance to learn more about Making Strides, Run for the Hills, and additional events Riverside is providing during the month of October. We will also have a breast health and "healthy habits" informational display. For more information contact, Cancer Services, 800-520-7006.
- Women's Health Event October 5, 2015, 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm, at the Brentwood Family Practice. Presented by Riverside Cancer Care and Riverside Brentwood Family Practice. The event will include Pap smears, clinical breast examinations and various health exhibits. Registration is recommended by calling 800-520-7006.
- Saturday Mammogram Hours Early appointments daily in October, 7:15 am to 7:45am at Riverside Tappahannock Hospital. Call (855) 280-2554 to schedule.
- Loving the "Girls" -How, When and Why Tuesday, October 20, Noon-1:30 p.m. at WISC in Williamsburg. Rene' Bowditch and Mary Beth Gibson, Beyond Boobs will speak as part of the RDHW's Lunch and Learn Series.
- Breast Cancer Event Wednesday October 28, 2015, 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm at Riverside Shore Cancer Center