Who We Are: At a Glance
The original charter for Riverside dates back to December 15, 1915. The company began as one hospital, founded by the community and built on a site at Huntington Avenue and 50th Street in Newport News, Virginia. In 1962, the hospital was relocated to the present site of Riverside Regional Medical Center in central Newport News. Since then, Riverside has evolved into a flagship regional medical center with affiliates throughout the region in every aspect of healthcare.
Riverside is a 501c(3) tax exempt, non-profit organization dedicated to improving health and saving lives. Riverside Health System is governed by a voluntary Board of Directors, as is each of the Riverside affiliates throughout the region.
Through the dedication and tireless energy of our employees, physicians and volunteers, we assure that the needs of the community are met in every Riverside endeavor.
Eastern Virginia including: cities of Gloucester, Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, Richmond, Tappahannock, West Point, Williamsburg and Yorktown; Eastern Shore Area of Virginia; Counties of Essex, Gloucester, Isle of Wight, James City, King and Queen, King William, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, New Kent, Northumberland, Richmond and Surry.
Major Accreditations, Affiliations, Approvals and Memberships
Facilities within Riverside Health System are licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia under the appropriate licensing statutes. In addition, Riverside facilities have the following accreditations or memberships:
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Association of Blood Banks
- American Health Care Association
- American Hospital Association
- American Medical Association (Continuing Medical Education)
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists (Riverside Regional Medical Center Pharmacy Practice Residency Program)
- Chamber of Commerce
- College of American Pathologists: Laboratory, Nuclear Medicine, Respiratory Therapy
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (Riverside Rehabilitation Institute)
- Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons (Cancer Program)
- Community Health Accreditation Program, Riverside Home Care, Riverside Hospice, Riverside Home Infusion and Pharmacy
- Hospice Association of America (HAA), Riverside Hospice
- Joint Commission (Riverside Regional Medical Center, Riverside Rehabilitation Institute, Riverside Tappahannock Hospital, Riverside Walter Reed Hospital, Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital, Riverside Behavioral Health Center)
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology, Accreditation, Riverside School of Radiologic Technology
- Liaison Council on Certification for Surgical Technologist (LCC-ST), National Merit Award, Riverside School of Surgical Technology
- Medicare Certified, Riverside Home Health, Riverside Hospice
- National Association of Home Care, Riverside Home Health, Riverside Hospice
- National Hospice Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO), Riverside Hospice
- National League of Nursing
- Peninsula Emergency Services Council
- Residency Review Committee of the American Medical Association
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (Medicare)
- Virginia Association for Home Care (VAHC), Riverside Home Health
- Virginia Department of Medical Assistance (Medicaid)
- Virginia Health Care Association
- Virginia Health Quality Center (VHQC), Riverside Home Health
- Virginia Hospice Association (VHA), Riverside Hospice
- Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association
- Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University
- Medical College of Hampton Roads
- Old Dominion University
- Hampton University
- Thomas Nelson Community College
- Christopher Newport University
- Rappahannock Community College
- Newport News Public Schools
Riverside Health System is a member of the Medical Society of Virginia (MSV) and holds a voting seat in the MSV House of Delegates. Riverside is the only hospital or health system member invited to participate as a voting member in this organization. This affiliation is evidence of Riverside's credibility with its physician partners.
Riverside Health System is a participating hospital with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Riverside Health System is a partner in the Virginia Health Network (VHN) with eight other hospitals and health systems in the Hampton Roads and Richmond areas of Virginia. The system owns 35.1% of this for-profit Preferred Provider Organization. VHN contracts with payors, mostly health insurance companies and self-insured employers, to utilize VHN hospitals and physicians as the exclusive providers in their managed care programs.